I finished the series Saturday evening and I must say, after the slow start Marvel’s The Defenders found it’s pace and never ceased to amaze. Once our foursome finally faced their enemy – The Hand – things popped off. Some highlights from the latter episodes without spoiling everything.
- Sowande should have been Diamondback | The mysterious man in the white suit recruiting footmen in Harlem should have been Luke’s arch nemesis. It would have connected the Cage series to The Hand from jump, and given us a far more formidable villain after Cottonmouth. He was menacing and cruel without coming off hokey. And he could fight Luke without the help of exploding bullets or juiced up armor. A definite missed opportunity to make Luke Cage a great series rather than just good.
- Matt Murdock doesn’t deserve Karen or Foggy | At every turn Matt has to dodge their criticism of him wearing the Daredevil mask. As if he does not know the risk. I don’t know why they could not accept what Matt had long ago realized. It’s who he is and will forever be. Can’t stand the heat, get out of Hell’s Kitchen.
- We have to get Daughters of the Dragon | Misty and Colleen have met. The inevitable better be coming. Especially since Rand is handling Misty in her time of need near the end of the series. Give us their show and let us watch Misty and Ms. Wing put in work. They both deserve.
- A Problem Like Iron Fist | I still haven’t watched the series, but Danny Rand — at least this iteration — is annoying AF. If he isn’t proclaiming his name like Captain Obvious to anyone who will listen, he’s self-sabotaging his namesake by being a complete idiot. How can the catalyst for this series be the weakest link? By the end he’s more tolerable, but he’s also missing from at least three episodes which helps.
- Bring on Jessica Jones S2 | The nonchalant delinquent detective shines throughout the series. Krysten Ritter nails Jones’ perfectly unbothered by everything mentality. And made me thirsty for her story again, which is hands down the best single season of any of the series. ARGUE WITH YOUR MOTHER!
Those are all my points. Let me know what you thought in the comments. Oh, and btw – The Punisher is coming….