- The Story of O.J. | Jay-Z killed his ego and brought us Shawn Carter on 4:44 – the vulnerable, imperfect husband and father. Never before had we heard him being so honest.
- $lay | Meek Mill ft. A&AP Ferg
- Magnolia | Playboi Carti
- Bodak Yellow | We met Cardi B. via Mona Scott. The instant reality star soon realized Love & Hip-Hop’s true potential, and catapulted off that success. Years later her song is #2 on the Billboard charts.
- Good Drank | 2 Chainz ft. Gucci Mane & Quavo
- Family Feud | Jay-Z ft. Beyoncé
- Party | The artist we love to hate dropped another meaningless single — but it knocks. I can’t sing a single verse, but as soon as the chorus hits:
- Bring Dem Things | French Montana ft. Pharrell
- Hands | Father
- BAM | Jay-Z ft. Damian Marley
- ELEMENT. | Kendrick Lamar
- Sorry Not Sorry | Demi consistently improves as the Christina of this generation’s Disney divas. While Selena meddles in whispers, and Miley in whiteness, Demi gives us vocals and seasoning.
- Midnight | Jessie Ware
- Careless | Daley ft. Chiiild
- Want You Back | HAIM
- Late Nights & Heartbreak | Hannah Williams & The Affirmations dropped this album last year. 4:44 put me on the soulful force as the basis for the title track. Hannah sings down.
- RAF | A$AP Mob ft. A$AP Rocky, Playboi Carti, Quavo, Lil Uzi Vert & Frank Ocean
- do re mi | blackbear ft. Gucci Mane
- Heat | Aaron Camper
- What They Say | The gem that gave us “Truffle Butter.” And for THAT, Maya Jane Coles, I say your name.
- Sky Walker | Miguel ft. Travis Scott
- Stingy | Elijah Blake
- No Limit | G-Eazy ft. A$SAP Rocky & Cardi B
- Love So Soft | The ORIGINAL American Idol has always delivered. And she’s back on a new label with a sound honoring R&B tendencies of 90s legend. A class Kelly can easily be associated with vocally.
- Through Enough | VanJess ft. GoldLink
- Attitude | Leikeli47
- Think Bout That | A searingly personal song from UK import Jessie J has to be her best single. Ever. I was always aware of her talent, but something was missing before.
- Hello | Ledisi
- Dive | Tiffany Gouche will take her sensual R&B on tour with Daley as an artist who isn’t leaving her sexuality out of her art.
Second Quarter’s soundtrack
Get You | Daniel Craig
Crew | GoldLink
Love Come Down | Wiz Kid
IMAGINATION | Adrian Marcel
Don’t Go | Kevin Ross
Decemba (Remix) | Divine Council
Take a Picture | Tuexdo
Baby Girl | Gourdan Banks
Let Me Out | Gorillaz
The Parable of the Rich Man | GoldLink
Strobe Light | Little Dragon
Hard for Me | Leela James
No Way Out | Xavier Omar
Mic Jack | Big Boi
Tap In | Blaq Tuexdo
48 | Moss Kena
Fashion Week | Wale ft. G-Eazy
Immortal | Elley Duhe
In the Name | LeToya Luckett
In the Moment | 1-OAK
Ink Blot | Logic ft. Juciy J
Black Ice | MAAD
How | Blaq Tuxedo
Met Gala | Guccie Mane ft. Offset
Helpless | Gucci Mane
X Men | Lil Yachty ft. Evander Griiim
Sideline | Niia ft. Jazmine Sullivan
Chi Chi | Azealia Banks
More Than a Miracle | MNEK
Bodak Yellow | Cardi B
Rain Come Down | Vince Staples
Don’t Choose | dvsn
In the Moment | 1-O.A.K.
Legend Has It | Run the Jewels
BAM | JAY-Z
my musical backdrop for the first quarter of 2017 sees an array of new artists, favorite mainstays and a throwback or two. Continue reading →